Home-Start Runnymede and Woking aims to give support to families who are struggling to cope with a variety of challenges. We work with Professionals in the Social Care and Child Care sectors, Health Visitors, GPs and with Children’s Centres and we value our relationships with other agencies.
When a family is referred to Home-Start they will be supported by an experienced, professionally run organisation that offers a high quality service. Our volunteers are normally parents themselves and after a preparation course they bring to a family their personal experience and their knowledge of the resources available in the local area. The support is non-judgemental, free and confidential and the volunteer will visit the family in their own home for two to three hours a week.
As a voluntary organisation, Home-Start can offer a very flexible and tailored approach to individual families.
All Home-Start volunteers, staff and trustees sign up to the Home-Start Code of Conduct for Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and are subject to criminal records checks at an enhanced level.
Our main referrers are:
- Health Visitors
- Professionals in the Social Care and Child Care sectors
- Community Mental Health Team
- Sure-Start Children’s Centres
How to refer a family to Home-Start
- Discuss Home-Start with the family and obtain their agreement to receive Home-Start support.
- Establish that they have at least one child under five.
- Complete and send a Referral Form
Typical reasons for a family to be referred:
- Health problems of either a child or parent
- Parenting skills
- Behavioural issues
- Depression/Post Natal Depression
- Multiple births
Home-Start will respond to the referral by:
- setting up an initial visit with the family to discuss their individual needs
- carefully matching the skills and experience of a volunteer to the needs of the family
- introducing the volunteer to the family as soon as is possible.
- reviewing the support at regular intervals.
- keeping the referrer informed, within confidentiality guidelines, about progress, when required.